It’s not a secret that the type of pillow you are using has a direct effect on how you wake the next morning. If you are waking feeling troublesome neck pain or cannot get comfortable when trying to fall asleep, it can very well be because of the kind of pillow you are using. Japanese pillows are small-sized pillows filled with buckwheat hauls that hold several health benefits, including neck support.
These pillows have been used for centuries in Japan and other Asian countries and have been recommended by many health professionals for head and neck support. So, I wanted to give these pillows a try to help relive some of my neck pain. I have reviewed three different options of Japanese pillows to see which one best provides relief for my neck pain.
Which are the 3 Best Japanese Pillows for Neck Pain?
- Our Top Pick: Beans72 Buckwheat Pillow
- Runner-Up: Lofe Buckwheat Pillow
- Budget-Friendly: Daiwa Felicity Buckwheat Pillow
Keep reading to learn more about why I chose these as the best Japanese pillows for neck pain relief.
Our Top Pick: Beans72 Buckwheat Pillow
When I was searching for the best Japanese pillow for my neck pain, I wanted to have one that not only was effective when relieving my aches and pains but would also last a long time without collapsing or losing shape. This is where the Beans72 Buckwheat Pillow comes in.
This pillow is made 100% from cotton and is made in the United States. It is also filled with 100% organic US-grown buckwheat hulls and can help relieve muscle pain and tension when used over time. The pain relief effects for me were immediate, and I was able to wake up without soreness in my neck.
I have reviewed the Beans72 Buckwheat Pillow on six different categories: support, durability, sleep quality, comfort, for traveling, and noise level.
- Helps relieve muscular pain and tension
- Is 100% organic
- Cover is 100% cotton
- Conforms and adjusts to your head
- Keeps your head cool throughout the night
- Pillow is a little small
I was suffering from neck pain for the longest time because of my day-to-day office job, but then I tried the Beans72 Buckwheat Pillow and soon felt relief while using it over time. While the pillow was firm to begin with, I noticed that it easily conformed to my head and neck, providing me with a great amount of support to keep me from moving throughout the night.
- Filling: 100% US Grown Organic Buckwheat Hulls. Casing: 100% Natural Unbleached Cotton.
- May relieve common sleeping problems such as; tension, muscle pain, stiff neck, headache and stress
- Will conform and adjust perfectly to your head, neck, and spine. Will NOT collapse like foam.
- The buckwheat hulls allow air to circulate throughout the pillow. Cooling it off quickly.
- The pillow weight is 4 - 5 lbs *Pillows are filled by volume. The weights are a guide and will vary based on seasonal crop conditions.
If the pillow is too firm for your liking, you can adjust the weight of it by removing some of the buckwheat hulls. However, the buckwheat hulls also help allow air to circulate throughout the pillow. I did not find myself overheating while laying on it at all because it cooled down so quickly.
You can hear the buckwheat sliding in the pillow if you are shifting on top of it. For some, this may be relaxing, for others, not so much. The Beans72 pillow comes in both Japanese and Queen sizes. I bought the Japanese size and found it to be a little small. The Japanese pillow is about 20 inches x 14 inches, but it is small enough to take with you if you have a trip or staying over someone else’s home.
Regardless of the size, I found that it really helped me relieve my neck pain, as well as other pains in my arm and shoulder. I highly recommend this pillow for those who need to have one that provides better neck support.
Runner-Up: Lofe Buckwheat Pillow
If you are looking for a Japanese pillow that not only helps neck pain, but also improves memory and eliminates stress, then look no further than the Lofe Buckwheat Pillow.
This Japanese pillow is made 100% with healthy Tartary buckwheat hulls. Tartary buckwheat helps eliminate heat and reduces fatigue and tension throughout the night to allow you to sleep peacefully. The Tartary buckwheat hulls are proven to reduce neck pain and headaches and are treated with high temperature before they are filled into the pillow.
- 100% HEALTHY TARTARY BUCKWHEAT HULLS: Buckwheat is divided into common buckwheat and tartary buckwheat. The tartary buckwheat helps clearing heat-fire, eliminate fatigue and tension, and make you sleep more clamly. Pillow filled with tartary buckwheat hulls can relax your neck and relieve neck pain and headaches. We pick and use premium tartary buckwheat hulls which are treated with high temperature. Providing you a safer and healthier sleeping.
You adjust the height of the pillow as well with the side zipper, allowing you to add or remove the buckwheat filling. I usually like my pillows a little less firm than normal, so I was able to remove the buckwheat easily to adjust the pillow’s height to my liking.
This Japanese pillow showed a lot of benefits. Not only did I experience neck pain relief, I noticed that I was not waking up feeling tired or fatigued, and even felt like my memory improved because I was sleeping throughout the night. The buckwheat also managed to keep my body temperature cool, so I was not overheating when sleeping.
The Lofe Buckwheat Pillow comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee. So, if for whatever reason, you are dissatisfied with the pillow, you can return it for a full refund.
My only complaint about this kind of Japanese pillow was that it was a little too loud when I shifted at night, and it didn’t work well when I slept on my side. Besides that, I still recommend this pillow to others who are looking for a pillow with head and neck support that can also be easily adjusted.
Check Out Our Other Articles on Sleep Detectives:
- The 3 Best Japanese Pillows for Neck Pain
- Your Feather Pillow Smells Like Death? Here’s What You Do…
- The Three Best Pillow Protectors for Oily Skin
Budget-Friendly: Daiwa Felicity Buckwheat Pillow
For those looking for a more budget-friendly option, then the Daiwa Felicity Buckwheat Pillow is an excellent choice.
This Japanese pillow is made of 100% natural premium buckwheat hulls. I found that this does not only help with neck pain, but it also reduced snoring and overall restlessness. This is a firm, durable pillow, so even throughout the night, it does not flatten from laying on it and provides continuous support.
- Wake Up Refreshed - Buckwheat husks can help snoring, restlessness, and other sleep issues
- All Natural - Based on the Japanese Sobakawa pillow, it is made of 100% Natural Premium Buckwheat hulls
- Sleep Through The Night - Bean pillow never gets compacted or flat, giving continuous support all night long
- Cooler Than The Other Side of The Pillow - Bean hulls are naturally cooling and allow ventilation while you sleep
Like the options on this list, the buckwheat bean hulls have natural cooling qualities that allows for ventilation to keep your head cool and not overheated. The pillow can also accommodate all kinds of sleeping positions. The buckwheat hull filling manages to keep its sleep for back, side, and stomach sleepers over time.
While it comes at an affordable price, this Japanese pillow holds a lot of value and benefits for your health. It even comes with a washable cover and pillowcase! The pillow is also 20 inches x 15 inches, so it is compact enough to bring it along with you when traveling as well.
If you ever experience any issues with your Japanese pillow, Daiwa has offices and warehouses throughout the country to provide you with support after your purchase. In addition, Daiwa has seven satellite service centers in California, Hawaii, Texas, Florida, Illinois, Nevada, and Washington.
I highly recommend this pillow for the price because it can accommodate multiple sleeping positions and is durable enough to last for a long time after purchase. However, there is not a way to adjust the height of the pillow or the firmness, so you have to get used to the hardness.