An air purifier is now an essential household appliance to help get rid of the trapped allergens and stale air inside our homes. Finding the best air purifier for sleeping depends on several factors, so it’s important to choose an air purifier that fits your home and your needs.
When I was looking for an air purifier, I needed one that cleaned the air of pet dander and dust mites that affected my night’s sleep. During my search, I found five air purifiers that were the most effective in improving the indoor air quality of my home.
Which are the 5 Best Air Purifiers for Sleeping?
- Our Top Pick: RENPHO Air Purifier
- Best Choice for Bacteria: GermGuardian HEPA Air Purifier
- Most Quiet Option: Coway Air Purifier
- Best Customizable Choice: LEVOIT Air Purifier
- Budget-Friendly: Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier
Keep reading to learn more about why I chose these as the best air purifier options for sleepers.
Our Top Pick: RENPHO Air Purifier
When I was looking to purchase an air purifier for my home, I have found several options for my family to use. However, I found that the RENPHO Air Purifier was the best choice for us.
This air purifier is highly effective in cleaning the air of airborne contaminants, including pollen, odor, smoke, PM 2.5, dust mites, pet dander, and allergens. The RENPHO Air Purifier also has a convenient handle on the back that makes it portable and easy to place anywhere around the house.
We have reviewed the RENPHO Air Purifier in six different categories: freshness, easy to use, maneuverability, timer function, easy to clean, and noise level.
- Four-stage filtration
- Quiet sleep mode
- Replacement filter alert
- Four fan speeds
- Three timer settings
- Lock function
- Works well in medium to large rooms
- Air quality monitor with auto mode
- Convenient handle to move around room-to-room
- Replacement filters are hard to come by
When I was looking for a new air purifier, I needed one that effectively removed any pet dander and other allergens from my room and that I could easily maneuver around my house if needed. The RENPHO Air Purifer was the perfect solution!
This air purifier works for both medium to large-sized rooms. It could clean the air of large spaces of up to 1210 square feet in just 30 minutes, and 2420 square feet in one hour. The convenient handle makes it a portable air purifier and allowed me to move it around my house, from my bedroom to my children’s rooms, as well as my living room.
1 used from $122.40
- RAPID PURIFICATION: RENPHO Air Purifiers for Home circulates the air 5 times per hour in a room up to 484 ft² (45 m²). Cleans spaces up to 1210 ft² in 30 minutes, 484 ft² in 12 minutes. Modern design for medium to large rooms: homes, living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, baby nurseries, schools, classrooms, hospitals,hotels, restaurants and offices.
- REAL-TIME AIR QUALITY MONITOR & AUTO MODE: Ultrafine dust sensor of RENPHO air purifier for Bedroom can detect the airborne particles. Real-time PM2.5 readings display on the digital panel, and the air quality indicator changes colors (blue, green, orange, red) accordingly to let you know your air quality at a glance. In auto mode, the air clearner automatically adjusts between 4 fan speed settings according to PM2.5 concentrations to maintain a comfortable environment.
I was also particularly impressed with their 4-stage filtration system. Many air purifiers have switch between different air filters, but the RENPHO Air Purifier switches between four different ones: the fabric pre-filter, the H13 true HEPA filter, the deodorization activated carbon filter, and the net filter.
This filtration system catches 99.97% of air pollutants, including germs, pet hair and dander, allergens like pollen, dust, and dirt. Because I mainly use my air purifier in my bedroom, I have been waking up without irritated eyes and a stuffy nose.
Another impressive feature is this air purifier’s air quality monitor and auto mode. This means, the air purifier automatically adjusts between the 4 different fan speeds according to the number of airborne particles in the room. Its dust sensor can also indicate the air quality of the room, switching between colors to give you real-time updates of the air quality.
This air purifier has a quiet operation as well. I keep it on an 8-hour timer throughout the night, and I can hardly hear it–in fact, I fall asleep rather quickly with it on. In addition, the LED touch control panel is very user-friendly. I don’t have to struggle switching between the functions, like the timer feature.
My one and only complaint with the RENPHO Air Purifier so far is that it’s been difficult to find replacement filters for it. It’s recommended to replace the filters every 6 months, and, while the replacement indicator is extremely helpful in reminding me to replace the air filter, the air purifier is only compatible with RENPHO replacement filters.
Other than that, I highly recommend this air filter to any homeowner who needs an efficient and effective solution for cleaning out any trapped allergens.
Best Choice for Bacteria: GermGuardian HEPA Air Purifier
If you are looking for an air purifier that also works well against airborne bacteria and has a sleek design, look no further than the GermGuardian HEPA Air Purifier.
This air purifier that includes three air filters, a pre-filter, a true HEPA filter, and a charcoal filter. It also has a UV-C light that protects your home from airborne germs, like bacteria, viruses, and even mold spores. The charcoal filter is a unique feature, and it allows the air purifier to remove unpleasant odors.
- ✅【HIGH PERFORMANCE】 Circulates the air 1x per hour in 915 square foot rooms and 4.8x per hour in 189 sq. ft rooms, making it ideal for medium to large sized rooms such as: dorm rooms, bedrooms, and other living areas!
- ✅【AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME】 True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as 0.1 microns from the air
The GermGuardian is a quiet air purifier that also has a white noise feature to help you have a good night’s sleep. When I tried it out, I mainly kept it in my bedroom to trap particles of pet hair and any other air pollutants.
Unlike our top pick, this air purifier does not have any feature, like a handle, that allowed us to move it around the house easily, so it mainly stayed in one place. Although, it did an excellent job in maintaining fresh air in my bedroom.
Most Quiet Option: Coway Air Purifier
One of my favorite quiet alternatives is the Coway Air Purifier. The Coway Air Purifier is a sleek, compact air purifier for bedrooms that operates quietly, with its noise level ranging from 24.4 dB to 53.8 dB. So, you don’t have to worry about it waking you up throughout the night while it’s on.
- Coway Mighty (AP-1512HH) is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 361 sq. ft (CADR: Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 cb. ft. ).
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion) captures and reduces up to 99. 97% of particles 0. 3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants and other allergens. It also reduces volatile organic compounds and reduces odor.
In addition to its quiet operation, it also has a time function with three different settings. You can have this air purifier run for an hour, four hours, or even eight hours before it shuts off automatically. If there was no air pollutants detected for more than 30 minutes, the air purifier’s fans automatically turned off as well.
While this one has an auto mode like many air purifiers, it switches between three fan speeds as well. You can manually set the fan speed with the different settings or have the air purifier automatically set the fan speed based on the amount of airborne particles in the room.
Like most air purifies, this one works with a 4-in-1 filtration system, and includes a washable pre-filter, deodorization filter, true HEPA filter, and a Vital ION. The Coway Air Purifier has a clean air delivery rate of 99.97%, clearing the air of pollen, air pollutants, and other allergens like pet dander.
I thought its air pollution sensor had a unique interface. Not only did it show me the real-time indoor air quality of my bedroom, but this air purifier also had bright LED indicators of how dirty or clean the air was, as well as if my filters needed to be replaced.
The only setback I found was that I had to reinstall my air filters when I first had the air purifier because of their hard plastic covers. However, I highly recommend this one for anyone who wants a compact air purifier for bedrooms with quiet operation at its forefront.
Check Out Our Other Articles on Sleep Detectives:
- The 5 Best Air Purifiers for Sleeping: Remove Bedroom Dust & Allergens
- The 3 Best Nasal Dilators for a Deviated Septum: Breath Easier
- The 3 Best Buteyko Belts: Choose Wisely!
Best Customizable Option: LEVOIT Air Purifier
Out of the other air purifiers on this list, the LEVOIT Air Purifier is certainly one of the most customizable air purifiers I’ve owned.
With this air purifier, you can choose between a variety of replacement filters that fit your needs. These replacement filters include the original true HEPA 3-stage original filter, the true HEPA 3-stage pet allergy filter, the true HEPA 3-stage toxin absorber filter, and the true HEPA 4-stage smoke remover filter.
20 used from $64.84
- A 45W long-life high-torque motor, a versatile 8.7" x 8.7" x 14.2" size, a 7.48 lb weight, a 141CFM CADR and up to 1095 ft² of purification area. Every aspect of Core 300 is designated for a better purification effect.Humidity: < 85% RH. Standby Power: < 0.8W. Operating Conditions Temperature: 14°–104°F / -10°–40°C..Power Supply : AC 120V, 60Hz
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in 12 minutes with the Core 300 Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology, 360° air intake, and CADR of 141 CFM / 240 m³/h (Clean Air Delivery Rate), Core 300 can purify air of a 1,095 ft² space once in one hour. The higher the CADR of an air purifier, the larger its purification area
The LEVOIT Air Purifier is also ozone free, meaning that it avoids using UV-C light, which doesn’t produce harmful ozone and secondary air pollution.
The activated carbon filter captures approximately 99.7% of airborne particles, including dust, smoke, pollen, and odors. We were able to get clean air in just 12 minutes after use, and it worked well with both our small and large rooms.
This air purifier has a sleek design that blends into the background of your room. In addition, the air purifier uses QuietKEAP Technology that helps reduce noise levels to allow you to have a good night’s sleep. You can also shut its display light and use its timer feature overnight.
I did notice, however, that the air purifier gave off a weird plastic-like smell when I first used it. I wasn’t sure where it came from as I removed the plastic wrapping from the filter.
Budget-Friendly: Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier
If you are looking for a more budget-friendly option, then the Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier is the best HEPA air purifier for you.
This air purifier captures 99% of air particles, including pet dander, dust, dust mites, pollen, and mold spores. It also has a permanent HEPA filter, meaning you won’t have to replace it often and it makes it easier to clean.
- High Performance Hepa Grade Filter: Captures 99% of pet dander, , pollen, and as small as 3 microns from the air.
- Easy to clean: air purifier has a permanent Hepa-grade filter that easily vacuums clean.
- Compact, stylish design: Allergen reducing air purifier is perfect in the office or in rooms up to 160 square feet
- Versatile air care that fits anywhere: Position the unit vertically or horizontally to best fit in your bedroom, den, nursery, hallway or living room at home or at the office.
The Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier’s compact design doesn’t work well in large rooms, however. So, if you have a small bedroom or an office, this would be a better option. It can improve the indoor air quality of rooms of up to 160 square feet.
In addition, this air purifier has three different fan speeds that you have control over: whisper clean, medium cleaning, and quick clean. Whisper clean is its quiet operation setting that you can use overnight, while quick clean is a powerful setting that will clean all the air in your room efficiently.
If you are looking for a compact air purifier that you can use anywhere in the house, then I highly recommend the Hamilton Beach air purifier.